Written by Jordan Archer
While in one month time I’m entering the big wide world, I know there are a lot of you who will be back at uni next year to do it all again.
Some of you may be starting to lack the motivation needed to keep going. Trust me, we’ve all been there, I was definitely there back in my second year of university, when I realised that an adventure on foreign shores, in fact, a semester walking down different corridors, was exactly what I needed!
As my four years at UniSA come to a close, I can say without any doubt that my semester on exchange to Ryerson University in Toronto, Canada, was by far the most rewarding part of my degree, if not the most rewarding experience of my life so far!
Now I know what you’re thinking, ‘here’s another lucky bugger about to tell me how awesome their experience was’. Well guess what? You’ve heard that before.
I’m here to tell you the five reasons you should go on exchange, and the five simple steps needed to get the process started.
You may have always talked about going on exchange, or maybe you’ve never even thought about it. So let’s see if I can give you the motivation to go for it, because you will not regret it!
5 REASONS YOU MUST GO ON EXCHANGE
1) It looks awesome on your resume. Many employers will look favourably on the fact that you not only studied at another institution, but you had the drive to move half way around the world for a semester!
2) Get a new perspective on your future career. While of course the basics are the same, many universities have a slightly different teaching style, and your industry may be somewhat different in that country.
3) A chance to go globetrotting! People who go on exchange often take weekend trips away and/or travel before/after their study. After all, who doesn’t want a chance to see the world?
4) Live an exciting new life. You get to live a completely different life for six months, making a foreign city your second home, without worrying about delaying your graduation!
5) New mates! You will meet so many people, both from your host country and other exchange students, and you’ll form lifelong friendships which will give you free accommodation right across the globe!
5 STEPS TO ORGANISE YOUR EXCHANGE
1) Are you eligible? To go on exchange you need a GPA of 4.0 and above, have no more than 9 failed units and have completed at least 36 units. Of course you should also be of good health, culturally aware and ready represent UniSA overseas!
2) Oh the places you can go! You can go on exchange to any of UniSA’s 70+ partner universities! The world is your oyster, Canada to Japan, Sweden to India. Check out the universities and see whether they offer the equivalent of your course. Read up on some of the returned student reports to hear how returning students enjoyed their semester abroad!
3) It’s time to apply. Once you’ve researched a couple of universities it’s time to apply for the UniSA exchange program! This stage of the application can be done on the university website. Once that’s submitted you just have to wait a few weeks to hear back from UniSA.
4) The ball is rolling! UniSA will let you know whether they’ve accepted your application, and then the student exchange officers will direct you in applying for your host universities. They may take a while to get back to you so patience is a virtue! Use this time to look into accommodation and flights.
5) The final steps. Once they’ve accepted you it’s time to get your Visas, organise accommodation, book flights etc. before heading off on your exciting new adventures!!! Depending on your host university, final enrolments might be done before heading off or during orientation on campus.
So, have I convinced you? WANT TO FIND OUT MORE???
So much about organising an exchange can simply be found on the website www.unisa.edu.au/exchange/ so don’t forget to check it out! Any specific queries can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you want to head on exchange in Study Period 5 2012, applications close January 11 2012. GET ON IT!