Words by Ashleigh Buck
When days get tough and things seem a little blue, we all need something sweet, warm, and chocolatey to pick us up. Choccy cake has been listed as a number one comfort food for years; the fluffy centre, rich chocolate flavour and crusty top is completely irresistible. So, if you, or someone you know is feeling down, you can be sure this recipe can bring a little light into the day.
You will need:
1 ¾ cups self-raising flour (sifted)
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
½ cup cocoa (sifted)
1 ¼ cups white sugar
125g butter (melted)
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
1 ½ cups icing sugar (sifted)
2 teaspoons cocoa (sifted)
2 teaspoons butter
2 tablespoons water
- Set oven at 180°C
- Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl and add sugar.
- Add melted butter gradually and mix well.
- Add milk and vanilla and beat well.
- Add lightly beaten eggs gradually, beating well after each addition.
- Pour mixture into a greased deep 20cm round cake tin.
- Bake for 1 hour or until cooked when tested.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Add melted butter and water.
- Beat well together.
- Once the cake is completely cooled, spread evenly on top.
More from Edition 42
Written by Ashleigh Buck Trigger warning: Cyberbullying, sexual harassement, sexual assault, child abuse, self-harm, suicide Living in a pandemic age has supercharged …
Written by Emma Mellett Trigger warnings: Sexual assault, sexual harm, sexual harassment Sexual assault and sexual harassment are major health and welfare …