Written by Helena Radocaj
Here is a homemade dish you can sink your teeth into!
Moussaka is certainly no good soggy (looking at you, eggplant) and, to be fair, it’s just not that massive of a vibe. With this meaty dish, you can pair it perfectly alongside fresh salad and sour cream, for dinner or even your lunch! Even better, you can keep this dish refrigerated for a couple days and reheat it at will. All you need to do is grab a couple of baking dishes, a grater, a food processor or even a knife (depending on your knife skills). This dish I can guarantee will feed five hungry slavs!
And just remember, when in doubt, “od oka” which, in Serbia, just means estimate it all by eye!
You Will Need:
- 2kg potato – peeled and grated
- 700g veal and pork mince
- 2 big onions
- 2 carrots
- 6 eggs
- 250ml milk
- 1.5 tbsp Vegeta
- 1tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Peel and grate the potato, place half on the bottom of the baking dish.
- In the pork and veal mix, add Vegeta and season with pepper. Add to taste.
- Add onions and carrot to food processor or chop finely. Add to meat mix.
- Lay the meat on top, then lay the rest of the potato.
- Whisk the egg and milk together, pouring on top of the moussaka. With a fork, make some holes so the mix can bleed into the dish.
- Put in oven for an hour or until golden and crisp on top.
More from Edition 43
Everyone has a story... It is the concluding entry into Verse’s Humans of UniSA segment in 2021 and On the Record …